Several people have asked what the finished Summer Mystery looked like when completed. Up until now I have replied that they need to look at the instructions – especially the penultimate week to find out why I couldn’t tell them.
However . . . having found the photos of my quilt in the construction phase while I decided just how to finish it . . . I thought I would show you why I couldn’t tell you.
The mystery instructions had you make 16 blocks in total – 8 of one, 8 of another – and the final instruction (before quilting and binding) was to arrange the blocks in a way that you yourself felt most pleasing. It took me a long time to settle on one.
So first I set the blocks alternately and then started turning them around (they are directional blocks).
Then I put one set of blocks in the centre and corners and turned them around a few times
Finally I put the other set of blocks in the centre and corners and turned them around
If you are still struggling with the layout of yours I hope these photos have given you a few ideas, rather than muddled you even further.
For those who have yet to make the quilt, perhaps you can now see why a final photo of the finished quilt was not possible at the time.
This is one of the joys of patchwork – the endless possibilities from two simple blocks put together.
PS. Mine was finished and gifted to charity – probably Siblings Together, as that is where my larger quilts go; the smaller ones go to Linus.